Monday, July 5, 2010

Ring, Ring, Ring...

















Now that I feel reasonably competent at carving pieces of wood into simple forms, my attention has shifted somewhat to issues of efficiency, trying wherever possible to save time, money, or effort. For example, I'm working on a number of rings that I plan to use as blanks for a casting project. Rather than carve each from a separate block of wood, I'm working on all 8 at once. The big piece is so much easier to hang on to for drilling, sawing, and carving. The chunk of scrap maple is also tapered, so each ring is a different size than its neighbors.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your website and the opportunity to admire your work. I attended the UW and completed BFA degrees in both Ceramic Art and Metal Design in the 70s. I did production handbuilding and enamels on commission, but nothing so lovely at these pieces.

    Jan Priddy
    http://janpriddyoregon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete